Grizzlys Snap Losing Streak With Win Over Mustangs

The Olds Grizzlys have snapped their 8 game losing streak with a 4-2 victory over the Calgary Mustangs on Tuesday night.  Digging a hole out of a losing streak is never easy and this game was no different as the Grizzlys outshot the Mustangs 53-28, but needed an empty netter with a minute left to secure the victory.  With the departure of Davies, Makin, and Dunkle, the Grizzlys called up local prospect Colton Anderson and the game also seen Reid Wilson make his first appearance of the year after being sidelined with an injury from training camp.

After a quick start out of the gate, the Grizz struck first on the scoresheet with an even strength goal from Mitch Owsley.  The goal was a result of a beautiful cross-crease pass from Bart Moran.  Dylan Hubbs recorded the second assist.  Olds struck again with just over a minute left in the first when BJ Duffin raced down the wing and fired a shot which ricochet into the twine.  The unassisted goal was Duffin’s his first AJHL goal and gave the Grizzlys a 2-0 lead heading into the second period.

The second period featured great back and forth action but only one goal was scored, that coming from the Mustangs six minutes into the period.  Special teams hurt the Grizz again as the goal came short handed for Calgary.  Going into the third period, the Mustangs struck early to tie the game up at two only 1:10 into the final frame.  Discipline was key for the Grizzlys as Stewart for the Mustangs went after Lucas Grundy.  Grundy kept his cool and took one for the team which seen the Grizzlys go on a seven minute powerplay as a result of the altercation.  This powerplay turned out to be critical as Hubbs fired a shot from the half wall past the Mustangs goalie to regain the lead.  Blair Oneschuk and Moran got the assists on the Grizzlys third goal.  Late in the third period and with the Grizzlys leading 3-2, the boys in Black and Gold found themselves having to kill off a 5 on 3.  With great determination, Olds killed off the penalties and with under a minute left, Hubbs picked up a loose puck and fired it into the open net from centre ice to secure the victory. 

With the two goal performance, Hubbs earned Player of the Game for the Grizz.  Player of the Game for the Mustangs went to goaltender, Dattani – well deserved facing 52 shots.  The Grizzlys hope to carry the momentum into the weekend on home ice as they face North division leading Whitecourt Wolverines on Saturday at 7:30pm and then Fort McMurray Oil Barons for a Sunday matinee at 2pm.  Grizz fans can expect to see newly acquired forward Matthew Marcinew in the line-up this weekend.